Sunday, November 23, 2008

Don't Look Now. It's a Hunter...I Mean Tyler!

Yikes. I NEVER have been in a hunting family and really am against guns and hunting in general. THEN, we moved to Southern Arkansas where hunting is like a religion. I am serious. Our good friends were telling us a story about when their son was born. As a gift, the grandparents purchased their new grandson his first hunting gun! I couldn't believe it! Last year, I spent the year telling everyone my beliefs against hunting and then...I realized...my thoughts about hunting were slowly changing. I listened as families told me their stories of family fun and wonder at the deer camp and couldn't help but understand a little better why they loved it so much. Tyler went deer hunting with a friend and his family. This friends family has a "camp" set up with 15-20 deer stands though out the property. The kids were let out of school early on Friday and "grandpa" came and picked up the boys at my house. Grandpa is a real sweet older man! He is cook of the camp. All the families have little rooms at this camp. There is no TV and no cell phone reception, therefor at night everyone sits around and tells stories...just like in the old days. Ricky was able to join them after work and was surprised..."it wasn't too bad." Both boys (Ricky and Tyler) had fun sitting up in the deer stand looking for wild life. For the record...this deer is an eight point buck (eight points on the antlers). He was shot by his friends dad...and yes that is his tongue hanging out. Eeeewwhhh. The whole hunting thing is very new to me, but I sure do appreciate the sweet friends Tyler has made here and their allowing him and Ricky into a little piece of their heaven. P.S There will be no guns under our Christmas Tree this year. :)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

The cool family! said...

Oh my gosh! He's so close to that dead deer! Ewww! I've never hunted in my life... but I can understand the appeal as well.
I'm glad they had fun though! Tyler looks really into it!

Bonnie said...

How fun for Tyler. It so reminds me of when my brothers went hunting. I went with them one year and they almost had me talked into shooting this doe. Nope, when it came right down to it, I couldn't do it. Tyler will have some great memories!

Jennifer said...

Way to go Tyler!!! I hope that this will become a great sport for you. How old do you have to be to hunt in Arkansas? Make sure you take a hunter safety course! It looks like you had a great time.