Sunday, April 12, 2009

Tie Died Eggs! We Did It!




Ok. So, thanks Ryann for inspiring me to make these eggs this year. I was so unmotivated to buy PAZ and die eggs for the 30ith PLUS time. So, we made these. It was a little hard, but well worth the effort. The kids were so amazed and so was I! So here is what you do:

1. Cut the fabric off an all silk tie.
2. Wrap the egg in silk and tie very tight at the top with the color (shiny) side of the tie tightly against the egg.
3. Cute white fabric and wrap the egg again. Tie again at the top.
4. Cover the eggs in water and 1/4 cup vinegar. Bring to boil...then let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Take out of pot and place in a strainer with tongs. Let them cool off.
6. Remove material.
7. If you want them to look shiny, rub a little oil on them! So Pretty! Too pretty to eat!

I purchased a bunch of ties at Goodwill for this project. But, I noticed the kids today all noticed Ricky's tie...for the first time. "Dad, that is a nice tie. Where did you get it? That tie would make a nice egg!" We will never look at neck ties the same way!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

The cool family! said...

Those came out GREAT!!!!! LOL, it's funny your kids noticed Ricky's tie! I did the same thing to Eric the other day! He came home with a new tie and I flipped it over to see if it was 100% silk, LOL! He told me I better not even think about it!
Happy Easter guys!!

Mimi said...

Oh my gosh - they are beautiful! I saw this idea somewhere, Family Fun or some blog but didn't really think it would work - we are definitely trying it next year and what a great idea to get some good will ties.

Heather Gibb said...

Holy cow girl---those are some impressive eggs!! I can't believe how grown up your kids are getting!! I hope all is well!! Are you planning any UT trips?